Blog Archive

To Trend or Not to Trend

Trends. They come and they go. Do you follow them? I've heard several designers say they don't follow trends, and I get that. I think it's a good idea not to be too trendy. I don't think of myself as a real trendy person either, but I will admit that like it or not, I am influenced by trends. It's kind of inevitable when I spend as much time as I do reading and writing about design. So, I've been thinking about how I can wade through trends as they come and still be smiling once they've gone.

1. Don't follow trends for the sake of being trendy. Instead, follow trends that you genuinely like. Don't go for a trend just because it's popular. Be honest with yourself and use good design judgement. Consider things like shape, texture, colour, balance, contrast, symmetry, etc.

2. This may seem like a contradiction based on the previous point, but be open to change and recognize that your likes and dislikes will change overtime. We of course have to leave room for this and not be too set in our ways.

3. Introduce trendy elements in "safe" ways. Go for trendy when it comes to hardware or lighting, not flooring. Switching out your kitchen pulls is a lot easier (and less costly) than ripping out and replacing your floors.

4. Focus on creating the look you love and don't worry so much about what others are doing. Following trends can be a little confusing at times and even frustrating. Let your own unique look and style shine!

5. Be informed about what the latest trends are but don't feel presured to follow them.

I hope that didn't come across as "I'm so beyond trends that I'm better than everyone else". Trends are part of design and I do like many of them. No, I won't follow a lot of them, but I appreciate new design. This was me sorting out things for myself. Have you had similar thoughts? Or maybe you disagree on some points. I'd love to hear from you too.

And a trendy bathroom to ponder. Would you love this for years to come, or would you tire of the swan faucets and chevron tiled floors? It's definitely a bold move.



-Sarah

Image via Mix and Chic