Blog Archive

Entertaining Style... what's yours?


So, my husband came home from work the other day and said he had met someone who knew someone who knew us. In other words, we had a mutual friend. My husband suggested that we have this "someone" over for supper along with one or two others. I agreed that that would be a good idea and then my brain started racing with all the things I would need to do to prepare for these dinner guests... pick a date, plan the menu, clean the house, buy flowers, etc. 

Don't get me wrong, I like having people over but I think I'm realizing more and more that I am not a "fly by the seat of your pants" hostess. I'm the kind of person who says, "Sure, drop over anytime," (all the while thinking to myself, "Just give me two weeks notice so I can prepare some snacks and drinks and have the house spotless from top to bottom before you arrive.") 

I have friends who are not like this AT ALL though. They get uncomfortable if you offer to serve them a drink insisting that they get it themselves. They like it C-A-S-U-A-L. Anyway, I was just thinking that everyone must have their own entertaining style and I've just shared what mine is. What are you like? Do you like to REALLY be prepared or do you like to keep things spontaneous? I'm sure there is room for us all, and, by the way, I'm learning to relax my style just a little these days. Relax and Enjoy! (That will be my new motto.)