Blog Archive

Stylish Saskatchewan: Skin Deep

Today we'll be continuing on in our Stylish Saskatchewan series by featuring Tracy Chudy of Skin Deep Cosmetics

Skin Deep is a bath, beauty, fragrance and gift shop in downtown Saskatoon. They carry high-quality and unique products. They offer a wide variety of brands, including many Canadian labels as well as a several natural lines. Finding what works best for each and every client is their goal.

Let me introduce you to Tracy Chudy...



And here's a little about her and her lovely shop:



  1. How did you become interested in opening a bath and beauty shop? I guess I decided to start the business because I was a product junkie looking for a fix!  There were a lot of cool products that just weren't available here, so I saw that 'hole' in the market and decided it was for me.



  1. What is your background in this area? I don't really have a professional background in cosmetics - lots of retail experience though, in everything from clothes and shoes to candy.  But you could call me a very enthusiastic amateur when it comes to makeup!



  1. Where or from whom do you draw inspiration? My inspiration?  Well, when it comes to merchandising and displays I guess I'm inspired by the products and packaging themselves.  Also, I'm snoopy - I'm always checking out websites from stores in other cities to see what's new there, what products they're into.    



  1. What are the most rewarding and challenging aspects of operating a small business? The most rewarding thing about owning a small business is building a rapport with your customers, getting to know them, and seeing them walk away happy!  The most challenging thing about owning a small business is trying to keep a balance - sometimes I'd say I don't own it, it owns me!



  1. What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned as a small business owner? The biggest lesson I've learned as a small business owner, is do it because you care about it - don't do it if you're only in it for the money.



  1. How long has Skin Deep been open? I've been open since November 2003 - 7-1/2 years.



  1. Why did you choose Saskatoon? Why Saskatoon?  Born and raised here - how could I leave?



  1. How do you find your new location in downtown Saskatoon? I like the downtown location - it's a wonderful thing to have windows, and there's definitely more freedom to do things your own way.

          (Note: Skin Deep's previous location was in one of the malls in Saskatoon.)



  1. What are some of your favourite products that you carry at Skin Deep? Pre de Provence soaps (so creamy and long lasting), Kabuki fragrance by Tokyo Milk (it smells just like candy!), Hot Mama blush by the Balm (I'm going on to my 4th one), and anything by 100% Pure.



  1. Where do you like to shop and dine locally? McNally Robinson is a great bookstore, Serenity Apparel has super comfy yoga pants, and anywhere that has good bargain movies!  Dining?  I've always been a big fan of Alexander's, and I can't resist the Hawaiian Chicken Salad at Fuddrucker's.



  1. What might we catch you doing in your spare time? In my spare time I watch a lot of movies - especially scary ones - good or bad. 



  1. What does the future hold for you/Skin Deep? I can't really say for sure.  As much as I enjoy what I do, I'm always on the lookout for a new challenge!




Here are a few shots of the Skin Deep shop along with some of the products they carry. 








Thanks for participating, Tracy, and all the best with your future endeavours! 

-Sarah