Blog Archive

Thinking About Building

As many of you know, James will be finishing up his schooling next summer. We're seriously considering moving to a small town about 40 minutes north of Saskatoon. James would really like to work in a more rural location for at least a few years. I'm up for it as long as we're close enough to "the city" to drive in whenever we like. Since we know that a move is pending (and because I'm a total planner), we've been starting to look at the housing in this particular little town. Because of the size of the town, there are rarely more than a dozen homes for sale at any given time - not a lot to choose from. Many of them are dated and in need of some fairly major renos. There are, however, a few nice lots for sale and they're all very reasonably priced. 

So, we've been thinking about building. We are still very much in the thinking about it stage, but, being the planner I am, I've been looking at some... plans! We aren't trying to build our dream home, but we do have a few "wants" on our list. Here they are...

1,200 sq. feet (minimum)
3 bedrooms
2 bathrooms
basement to be finished in the future
garage (preferably attached)
open concept LR, DR & Kitchen
main floor laundry (preferably) 


Here are a few of our favourite plans thus far. Again, we're still just thinking about it, but I thought I'd let you in on this stage of things. I'm sure there are several of you who have built homes and can offer some advise. 

A) 1,355 sq. ft.

 


B) 1,364 sq. ft. 




C) 1,379 sq. ft.






D) 1,456 sq. ft.



E) 1,512 sq. ft.


F) 1,624 sq. ft.



There's so much to think about. I could babble on and one about all the things I've been thinking about. I'd say right now my favourite plan is plan "D", but I really like plan "F" as well. I would love to hear from those of you who have built a home. Do you have any tips for me? What were some of the important things you learned along the way? 


Have a great day, everyone! Today is Avery's 3rd birthday so we're going to be doing some extra fun things today. I'm thankful for the three wonderful years I've been given with my darling little girl.




Blessed beyond measure.

-Sarah