Blog Archive

Some Thoughts on Black Friday

Hello and happy Friday... Happy "Black" Friday to those of you in the states. Did you hear about the lady who used pepper spray to fight off other shoppers at a Wal-Mart in California? Crazy. That takes the happy right out of it. 

Greed. It's a problem we all have in some way or other. True, not many of us would resort to pepper spray; most of us are smart enough to disguise it. We make it look like something else to avoid facing the truth about what it really is - ugly, never-satisfied greed. Want, want, want. Get, get, get. (Guilty, guilty, guilty.) That pretty much sums us up.

I had planned to share some pretty armoires with you today, but they can wait. That would only make me feel like I'm feeding greed and materialism - something I really don't want to do. I hope you come to my blog for inspiration and ideas, but I hope I don't fuel the wrong things. Having a nice, comfortable home that serves you and others well is important, but keeping up with the Joneses isn't. Period. We are so materialistic in this day and age, and it's never popular to go against the current trend. I hope we'll try though in some way. 


Today, the kids and I dropped off a shoebox filled with little toys, crayons, a bar of soap, etc. for Operation Christmas Child (Samaritan's Purse). It cost us $37 to fill the box plus a $10 donation. A needy child on the other side of the world will receive that box. That will likely be all they get for Christmas.


Perspective. I hope we keep ours in the midst of this craziness. Wasn't thanksgiving just yesterday? 

Let's stop and give thanks, remembering how good we've got it. We certainly have it better than we deserve. 


Praying for contentment.


-Sarah