Blog Archive

Painting the Sideboard

You may remember the sideboard we found for my mom's office...


My original plan was to paint it a bright, bold colour, but now I'm having second thoughts. We just hung the curtains and they add A LOT to the space. They are both bold and colourful (and floor length) so I feel like an orange sideboard might be a little too much. 

Here's a look at the curtain fabric (Sweet William, White through Tonic Living)...





Mom has also decided to forgo the white, slipcovered chaise and use a comfortable armchair that she already owns. The chair is a queen anne styled chair, upholstered in a dark green. It works just fine in the space, but it adds colour as well (the white chaise would have been less colourful).

I'm now thinking that the sideboard would look nice in white but perhaps with a subtle colour border. Not sure what I'm talking about? Here are a few examples...

via The Way We Are


via Centsational Girl  


A similar look on closet doors...

via Centsational Girl

What are your thoughts? Am I a chicken for backing away from the original, bold-colour plan, or do you prefer the new, white-with-subtle-colour plan? I'd love to hear what you prefer.

-Sarah