Blog Archive

My Layered Space

So, I'm sure you've heard of (and probably eaten) a layered cake. Well, I was thinking about the type of interior space I am most drawn to, and thought I would share what that space would look like in layers. I've broken the space down into each separate element, starting with the floor and working my way up. I've come up with several scrumptious layers to share, and today I'll start with the first two.

While not as tasty as a layered cake, this layered space should be a visual treat, and, if nothing else, it is calorie-free! So, do enjoy.

Layer #1: The Floor

Flooring provides the base for any space, and is something you don't want to be changing up every few years. It's worthwhile to invest in something that is durable. Wood floors are by far my favourite. Real wood is so beautiful and gets better with time. A few nicks here and there give it that lived in look. I prefer a dark-ish, walnut-coloured stain and having the wood laid in either a herringbone or parquet pattern gets me giddy!







Layer #2: Architectural Details & Finishes

I'm definitely drawn to spaces that have strong architectural details. I tend to like lots of panelling, crown moulding, wide baseboards, ceiling medallions, etc. The look is definitely European-inspired and more traditional. Here's what I'm talking about...






Very much a "Paris-Apartment" look.


I also really like the look of black doors, both interior and exterior. When paired with white-ish walls and white trim, the black gives such a dramatic, luxe look.





Oh, and one other thing that makes my heart go pitter patter... glass knobs. I just have this thing for glass knobs. I don't know why, I just do. It's like dressing up your door or cabinet with a fabulous cocktail ring. Who doesn't love a sparkly ring?! (I happen to have a small collection.)


So, there are the first two layers of my layered space. More to come!

Does anyone else love these kinds of details as much as me?
-Sarah

image sources: design by Tricia Huntley; via flickr; via cococozy; via this is glamorous; via Made by Girl; Jenna Lyons LR (Domino); Jennifer Ferreira LR; via Made by Girl; via Ada and Darcy; via House and Home; via cococozy; Holly Mathis Interiors; via pinterest