Blog Archive

Thinking About: Fine China

When James and I were first engaged some 5+ years ago, I began to think about and look for the perfect china pattern. I knew it was common for people to choose a pattern and possibly register for it for their wedding day. Obviously, there is no rule that says you have to own fine china, but I certainly liked the idea of having a "special" set of dishes. Finding the perfect pattern proved to be difficult, and nothing really grabbed my eye.

After a good deal of searching, I finally found a pattern that jumped out at me. It was the Jasper Conran Chinoiserie Dinnerware, available through Wedgwood. I saw it online and fell in love with it. 







I had the chance to see the china in person about a year after we were married, and unfortunately, I didn't like it as much in person. I still think it's nice, but I don't like it enough to own a whole set of it. So, back to square one! 

Over the last few years, I've become more drawn to the vintage china patterns out there. When I first began my search I didn't really want anything that looked like china, but I've since warmed up to more traditional-looking patterns. Vintage china has a certain nostalgic look and feel to it. It has that unique factor since it's often hard to come by, and it's completely and totally pretty! (That's probably the biggest draw for me.)

Anyway, I found a great source for vintage patterns at Antiquaria. They carry an ever-changing selection of vintage china and other lovely things. 








I've found some patterns I like, but it's still hard to choose just one. That got me thinking... perhaps I could mix a few different patterns. This new idea makes me both nervous and happy. Nervous that I won't find a good mix, but happy that I won't have to choose just ONE pattern. I still need to give some thought to it. In the meantime, I'm looking around for some mismatched inspiration. Here's what I've found so far. 






It seems to me that as long as you stick to a similar colour scheme, it works! 






Having mismatched patterns definitely lends a more casual air. Not sure how I feel about that. I would also need to decide just how mismatched I'd want to go. Hmmm.

What are your thoughts on the whole fine china thing? Those of you who chose one pattern years ago and still love it... I want to be like you!


-Sarah


image sources: Southern Living; Style Me Pretty; via pinterest; via pinterest; 100 layer cake; via google, via google