Blog Archive

The Power of Paint

Hello, friends! Happy Monday to you. I hope your weekend was lovely. We have been having SUCH gorgeous weather lately, and this weekend was no exception. It was HOT! We also celebrated my husband's birthday which made the weekend extra special. Happy Birthday, darling!


image via pinterest

Sorry for the late post today. I didn't get a start on it yesterday, and we had errands to run this morning.

Anyway, I was recently thinking about the power of paint. It never ceases to amaze me what a little paint and some ingenuity can do! I've even seen a painted sofa! Apparently, the sofa owner was happy with the end result, although she said the fabric was a little stiff feeling (as you would expect).

I've previously shared how I like panelling, wainscoting, ceiling medallions, etc. in the home. All the architectural detail gives a room character and provide such a lovely backdrop for everything else. Unfortunately, it often costs a pretty penny to install all that gorgeous detail. So, if you can't afford the real thing, why not put the power of paint to the test! Here's a little inspiration I've gathered recently. 

Add pizzaz to a plain door with a graphic pattern in a bold colour...


Get the look of wainscoting with paint and a simple chair rail...


Faux ceiling medallion...



Faux Panelling with black and white paint...


A pretty girl's room with faux french panels...



This door is fabulous! I love the bold, dramatic look they've achieved with paint and just a little bit of trim. You could use white paint instead of the trim for a similar look.

  
image sources: 3,4 via pretty handy girl; 5 via plush palate; all others via pinterest


I also have to share this amazing DIY, hand-painted chinoiserie wall. Chinoiserie wallpaper is over-the-top expensive but oh-so-lovely. You can get the look with paint, careful planning, and lots of patience. Read the tutorial over at Mrs. Blandings.



And while we're talking about faux wallpaper, we must mention stencils - one of the more common or familiar ways to get the look of wallpaper. Hearing the word "stencil" may take you back to a place you just don't want to go, but thankfully, there are now some really great-looking stencils out there. You aren't limited to vine and floral patterns anymore! In case you don't believe me, have a look...







Stencils are one of those things that has gotten better with time, and we can all be happy about that!

Getting that high-end look with just a little paint is super smart in my books. Have you done anything witty and creative with paint in your home? I'd love to hear it.


-Sarah